1.15.2006

A Word From Mom's Oldest

By now anyone who has been keeping up with Mom's Support Page knows what's been going on during the past month...her good days, bad days, doctor's visits, and chemo sessions. Living almost 2 hours away from Mom is very difficult for me as she is going through this (Just ask my wife). I often feel that by being so far away I'm not as useful and helpful as my brothers, father and the rest of my family can be, because they are right around the corner. However, I realized that I've given her something that helps her to continue the fight... her three grandchildren, Scott (13), Meghan (9), and Noah (2). Mom has a saying, "I need my fix", meaning she wants to talk to or see the kids. We brought the kids up to see Mom on Saturday. Though she wasn't feeling her best, when she saw Scott, Meghan, and Noah, her whole mood changed. It's as if they do something for her that no medicine can. We spent about two hours with Mom. Sometimes she will call to get her fix. She'll talk to each of the kids on the phone a few times a week. Noah will tell her "Love you Mom-Mom" or "Noah vacuum" or he'll just giggle on the phone.

I know Mom has done a lot for a lot of people. Speaking for my brothers and father, Mom has been here for us for over 31 years. She's been there while we're sick, when we've had a bad day, to take us to school, and to pick Dad up from the train station late at night. Now it's our turn...all of us, family and friends to help Mom, to support Mom, and to give her back all she's given us. She's the strongest person I know. With her determination and our support, Mom's gonna kick this thing. I love you Mom!

-Gilbert

2 comments:

Mr. Lopez said...

Bravo!!!!! Great post. I know you feel sometimes like it's hard being so far away, and you have mentioned like you felt that you dont feel like there is anything you can do. WRONG!!!!! your kids take mom through every day. She loves them more than anything.Keep them calling, and keep bringing them up..

Your Brother,
Chuck

Anonymous said...

Gil, You got that right. "Big Red" tells me all the time how great it is to hear from Noah, Megan and Scotty. She knows you have to work and take care of your family but she loves hearing from and talking to the kids.
Me